Monday, November 29, 2010

Christmas Count-Down Calendar

Is it that time of year already? WOW! I cannot believe that Christmas is just around the corner!

My project this week is a fun one. Well, at least I think it is ;) The kiddos in this house LOVE it. It is a Christmas countdown calendar that I call, Reindeer Roundup.

I took some plastic magnetic containers like these:
Then I cut triangle cardstock shapes out using my Cricut machine and the George Cartridge. You could easily cut these by hand if you don't have a machine.

I attached the triangles to the fronts of the containers and then decorated them with some google eyes, ink for the cheeks, and circle for the nose, to look like Santa's Reindeer. I even added some twisted pipe cleaner for the antlers. This is what they look like now:


I had a metal sign that someone had given me. You can buy them at any craft store. So, I attached some circles with the Reindeer's names on them (Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixon, Comet, Cupid, Donner, Blitzen, and Rudolf).

So, the metal sign looks like this:
My idea is to put the Reindeer on the countdown calendar and fill each of the magnetic Reindeer with something fun for the kids. It could be a scripture for the day, some small candies, a clue to a larger item, etc. Then each day (starting 9 days before Christmas) the kids can take one of the Reindeer off and see the prize inside. It will give them something to look forward to and help them count down the days until Christmas.

When they get to Rudolf, Christmas is here!!! :)

Here is what it looks like with the Reindeer all in place:
I was also thinking that if you don't have a metal sign like this one, you could even just make the Reindeer and put them on the refrigerator or a metal door inside your house.

I am linking up to some fabulous LINKY PARTIES HERE and some fun BLOG HOPS HERE. Pop on by and say hi to some of the fantastic talent out there.

Also, don't forget about Wandering Wednesday Blog Hop where you can meet new friends and get some new followers and my FAVORITE day, THRILLING THURSDAY where you get to link up YOUR creations! Hope you stop by and link up, or just check out some of the other creative links :)

30 comments:

Jamiecrafts said...

such a great idea, TFS found you on COM :)

Anonymous said...

aaawww.. what an awesome idea.. We are in the middle of making our simple advent calendar as well.. Will link to your thursday this week.. Thanks for hosting it as usual!! :-)

Lori@Paisley Passions said...

Thanks for the kind comments!!! :)

Jen @ EmbellishingLifeEveryday said...

How cute is that?! I bet they love it!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for visit and join my blog hop.

http://beonefineday.blogspot.com

Have a nice day.

Nan

So Sunny Day said...

how stinkin cute is that! I love how each one has it's own personality :)

~ Emily N. from "too Blessed to Stress"

Niki Jolene said...

OMG How cute are those reindeer?


Stop by and see me sometime over at Free 2 Be Frugal!

Nikki said...

That is ADORABLE! Thanks so much for linking it up to gettin' crafty on hump day! :)

Sherry said...

This is a great idea, the reindeer are really cute and I love advent calendars!

Felicia said...

What a neat idea. I've been looking for something to do for an advent calendar.

Sandy Ang said...

Those will containers for holding advent surprises look great when decorated with your reindeers !

Kyla Armstrong said...

So cute! I love the reindeer!

Thank for linking up to Too Cute Tuesday!

http://funkypolkadotgiraffe.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

The reindeer are so cute!

Thanks for stopping by SS!

Hannah @ http://youngancrafty.blogspot.com/

Becca Ross said...

That is such a cute idea! Thanks for linking up to my Home and Family Friday linky party.

Becca

Heather said...

That is a creative and cute advent calender, thanks for sharing!

annies home said...

how fun love your idea and it looks so cute

Melissa said...

That is such a great idea! I bet your kids will love this. Thanks for sharing over at Tuesday Tell All.

Ashlee Marie said...

what a fun advent! Thanks for linking up to Topsy Turvy Tuesdays!

nicolette {momnivores dilemma} said...

Thanks so much for linking up to Creative Juice Thursdays...

Hope to see you back this week for round two! (Link will be up Wednesday night and I will announce the featured bloggers as well!)

Nicolette

http://momnivoresdilemma.blogspot.com

Naturally Carol said...

Those reindeer look a treat, what a lot of fun for the kids!

GB said...

Those reindeer sure are cute! found you via Patty's blog! :)

Love your blog title--I have a thing for paisleys!

Unknown said...

I think ur a very creative person.. love the round up calender idea...

Unknown said...

I think ur a very creative person.. love the round up calender idea...

Anonymous said...

Oh!! Im commenting again here.. Loved this post.. And thank you so so much for linking in!!

Kara said...

Totally cute idea! I love the reindeer. Thanks for linking up!

Anonymous said...

ah that is such a good idea! love it! Thanks for linking up to Handmade Tuesdays @ ladybug blessings!

Crystal said...

That is seriously adorable. Great idea. I'll be featuring this today.

Holly Lefevre said...

The reindeer are adorable...fun advent calendar!

Jill said...

Brilliant Reindeer! What a great idea for an advent calendar!
Thanks for linking to A Round Tuit.
Hope you have a lovely weekend.

Jill @ Creating my way to Success
http://jembellish.blogspot.com/

Crafty Mommy Diva said...

That is too cute and so fun for the kids. Love the rosy cheeks and that you made Rudolph too. Thanks for linking up to Scrappy Saturdays!