Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Blog Swap w/ Michaela Noelle Designs

Hello my dear readers! Boy, oh, boy, do I have a treat for you!!! I am blog swapping with a super creative gal today named, Michaela @ Michaela Noelle Designs. She has some UBER cute stuff to share with us today. I hope you will all take the time to read her post here on Paisley Passions, and then to pop on over to her blog and say hi! You will certainly be glad you did!

Take it away, Michaela!!!

Hi lovely readers of Paisley Passions! I'm so excited to be blog swapping with Lori today. I'm the author of the blog Michaela Noelle Designs and I'm an interior design student at Seattle Pacific University in Washington.










I'm originally from California, so I'm still adjusting to all the rain! {To read more about my story go here} My blog is a place for me to write about design, art, and fashion. It's a great way to document and share my journey through design school. I'm confident in saying interior design is my passion and I'm so blessed to be going to school for what I love. I'm always so inspired by other blogging friends' projects, homes, and hearts, so I'd love to meet you!





Since I moved from California to study in Seattle, I recently got a new apartment. Today I'm going to show you some fun things I've put together for the space. I was crafting up wall art, lamps, and other decor all summer so it was fun to see it all come together this past September. Here are some things I made for the apartment...we'll start in my room:







The individual cork square bulletin board helps me stay organized week by week. I love being able to see my plans displayed big, right in front of me! Oh, and every girl needs a shoe calendar, right?!





I also found a thin piece of twine and some vintage clothes pins. This was the perfect place to display some of my pictures and favorite card I received in the mail from my dad. I decided to do it this way instead of doing collages or simply taping pictures to the wall like you see in dorm rooms. I feel more grown up this way!















Just a last weekend I was able to go to an antique shop and picked up some mason jars. I bought a burlap ribbon and some fun fabric to make flowers out of. All you do is twist the fabric and coil it around into the shape of a flower. Then hot glue the fabric flowers on the jar. It's a fun way to add a hint of whimsy to any space. {Get the full tutorial here.}










Out in the living room I made some really simple wall art. Since I live in Seattle (aka rain city) I decided to do something that would brighten up the space. Nothing better than a little nursery rhyme! But you can also make prints with names or phrases you like, too.















All you do is get a small canvas (mine was 11x14) and paint a background color. Once that's dry, use a stencil to paint your letters on the canvas. You can then decorate the canvas with paper flowers found at Michael's, or leave it plain. I mounted mine on a small piece of wallpaper to add some color then framed it in a black frame. They really stand off the wall and the saying is perfect for where we live. Because let's face it, the skies are always gray (:










The last little project I made was the flowered lampshade you see above. I used the same paper flowers as the wall art. Start from the top, hot glueing your flowers in any pattern or colors you like, and work your way down. It's a great way to add color and texture to your room. It looks great when the light is on or off.







So there's a small tour of my apartment!


Thanks so much for having me, Lori! I love your blog and always enjoying reading it everyday (: I'd love to have everyone over to my blog, too. There you'll see crafts, design projects, my dream home inspiration pictures and my fashion series every Friday. Hope to see you soon!


Love, Michaela

9 comments:

Sarah Takens said...

I love your blog so I gave you an award! Find it at www.takens-tidbits.blogspot.com

Sonora said...

Creative people never cease to amaze me! That corkboard square calendar is not only brilliant, but attractive. Love it!

Holly said...

I'm so glad that I found your blog! I'm your newest follower from Wandering Wednesday. I hope that you can stop by and do the same. Thanks!

I can't wait to see more craft ideas! I'm not good at coming up with crafts, but I'm good at following directions! Haha.

Holly
www.hollyatnaptime.com

Lori@Paisley Passions said...

Thanks, Michaela for guest posting today. It was great to have you here :)

Helen Pigott said...

Hello!
Just hopping by, I am a new follower. So loving that calendar!
Helen
www.acraftykingoftruffle.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

oh lovely.. lovely.. Im off to check her blog.. What a bundle of talent!! :-)

Michaela said...

Thank you everyone for the sweet comments (: And thanks Lori for having me!

AdriansCrazyLife said...

I love the cork board. It's so simple, but so eye-catching.

Technology Tester said...

Lovely images of the micheala party decorations.Thanks.